The Audio/Video Technician position is focused on the recording, preservation, and dissemination of our teaching content. This includes video and audio materials for our online programs, digital content and archival work for the benefit of the Tara Mandala Community and the broader community through our website and other media.
This position serves as part of Tara Mandala’s Multi-Media Production Team, which also includes the Sound Technician, Archivist, Education and Learning Experience Manager and at times the IT Manager. The position is overseen by the Operations Director.
Overview of Duties and Areas of Oversight
This role provides primary production of filming and sound recording for a variety of materials including: 1) Online video programs ; 2) Live-streaming events; 3) Audio and Video Materials sold in the bookstore and online bookstore; 4) Marketing materials; and 5) Archives.
Additionally, this position supports the on-site retreat program by providing sound system support (working the sound board) to the Sound Technician to ensure the live retreats are properly amplified and recorded (as needed).
The position requires proficiency in the following programs and sites: YouTube, Vimeo, Soundcloud, Frame.io, and Adobe Premier, FB live, Ustream, Zoom, Google Suite and MS Office and use of email and video calls as a general means of communication.
This position does not manage or oversee any other staff.
- Onsite Recording, Editing, and Production of audio/video works. Capture high quality audio and video recordings, edit and create high quality audio and video productions of Tara Mandala onsite retreats, online programs, special events and webcasts. From May to October, this is the main focus of the job.
- Online Programs Support: Support the Manager of Education and Learning Experience to develop an Annual Production Plan and work collaboratively to ensure the plan is met. To provide support for Online Programs on-site such as live-streaming. Assist the production of Online Programs, including working with the Manager of ELE in a team environment, both onsite and remotely. Source archive material as required and support production for online and sustaining sangha programs.
- Webcasts and Live-streaming: Support the Manager of ELE and Programs Manager in organizing and preparing for webcasts and live-streaming of events.
- YouTube and Vimeo: Work in conjunction with the Manager of ELE and Marketing Manager in sourcing and developing video offerings for our YouTube Channel and Vimeo.
- Archives: Ensure the annual video and audio recordings are labeled, organized, and securely and safely stored by working collaboratively with the Archivist.
- Assists with Soundboard Operation: Supports the Soundboard Technician in running the soundboard and amplification systems as needed at Tara Mandala events. Steps in to run sound board when needed during the retreat season, and runs the sound board in the off-retreat season (winter).
- Teachings Archive Library: Works in conjunction with the Librarian, Archivist, LDP Coordinator and Online Programs to make select Dharma archived teachings available to Tara Mandala staff, LDV, and visitors.
- A/V Equipment: Ensures the AV equipment is in good working order, serviced, well maintained and repaired as necessary and makes available A/V Equipment for Productions. Maintains inventory of equipment, including purchase dates, warranty information and manages storage of equipment in an orderly way to ensure its long life. To develop annual budgets for A/V needs in cooperation with Manager ELE.
- Photography: To shoot basic photography for needs of online assets, new staff, bookstore items, and content creation.
- Movie Nights – during winter months choosing Dharma films and setting up for movie nights in the community on a monthly basis.
Required Education, Skills & Competencies
- 1-2 years of experience as a videographer
- 1-2 years experience as a Buddhist practitioner, with Vajrayana especially useful
- Experience with educational and Dharma-related topics
- Experience working in retreat settings or on production crews
- Experience with sound systems (boards, mics, etc)
- Lifting equipment, standing for long periods and sitting at the computer/sound board.
The essential personal qualities for the person filling this position include:
- Strong ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders, take and give feedback, communicate project needs, and work closely in a team environment.
- Be proactive in bringing clarity and definition to projects under management.
- Excellent time management, organization, and communication skills.
- Driven to be successful and contribute to a team goals.
- Strong integrity and trustworthiness.
- Accommodating, cooperative, and able to take direction.
- Motivated to provide a high quality of work.
- Commitment to displaying, developing, and upholding Tara Mandala’s Values and the Residential Agreement, including Code of Conduct.
- Sincere interest in living and practicing in a Dharma community, and attending community evening practices.
Compensation, Benefits and Other Job Requirements
This is a residential position at Tara Mandala, Pagosa Springs, Colorado and includes room and board (housing options based on housing availability) and other benefits.
This position is on-site and 40 hrs per week during the retreat season (approximately May to Sept) and 24 hrs per week in the non-retreat season.
See the Residential Agreement for the guidelines that govern staff who live on-site.