About Tara Mandala
Tara Mandala is a vibrant international Buddhist Community with groups around the world. It was established in 1993 by Lama Tsultrim Allione and her late husband, David Petit, to foster the development of innate wisdom for the benefit of all beings. The hub of the Tara Mandala community is the 700-acre dharma center in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. Through the center and the Satellite Sanghas, Tara Mandala offers a complete path of meditation practice, study, and deep retreat in the tradition of Vajrayana Buddhism. Tara Mandala is dedicated to bringing people to realization through the Buddhist teachings. Tara Mandala is committed to fostering a welcoming atmosphere for all people to explore the teachings of the Buddha, and we are committed to cultivating a community that values diversity and inclusion.
“Tara Mandala was created to bring people together to support each other, practice, and do retreat in order to reach realization. The second purpose of Tara Mandala is to be a temenos for the emergence of the sacred feminine, through the lens of Vajrayana, leading to the balance of genuine partnership between the masculine and feminine in our world.” – Lama Tsultrim Allione
Tara Mandala seeks candidates who are familiar with and live by Buddhist principles, including the 5 precepts and the 10 virtuous actions. We strive to have an open heart, cultivate compassion and empathy for others whether co-workers, visitors, or retreatants. We are here to serve the Dharma first and foremost.
Tara Mandala Leadership Values can be reviewed here
The Online Programs Support will assist in the delivery of online programs by overseeing all aspects of a specific virtual retreat and its execution or moderating and coordinating the implementation of a specific online course when the main coordinators of these programs are unavailable. The Online Programs Support will act as Zoom session moderator for these programs to ensure a professional presentation and will schedule test calls with teachers in advance to both support the teacher and ensure their video quality, sound, and background meet our standards. The Online Programs Support will also assist with use and maintenance of programs-related content in platforms such as Learndash and Retreat Guru. The Online Program Support reports to the Programs Manager on a daily basis, and Programs Director overall.
The work-hour load per week for this position is event/retreat-based. This means that some weeks the number of hours may be up to 25-40 hours based on the specific needs of the event/retreat. There may be weeks when no events/retreats are taking place and the number of work hours may be 3-5 hours associated with attending weekly meetings, and planning meetings for upcoming programs. In addition, overtime may be required to fulfill this role on a week-by-week basis. Overtime must be approved in advance. The Programs Director and/or Programs Manager will be responsible for scheduling hours week to week for this position.
Essential Job Duties and Areas of Responsibility
- Meets with Programs Manager weekly to be assigned a virtual retreat or online course, to discuss and prepare for coordination, planning and implementation and monitors master schedule for upcoming assignments.
- In coordination with assigned Tech Support, schedules Test Zoom calls with teachers and assistant teachers in advance of a virtual retreat to both support the teacher and ensure their video quality, sound, and background meet Tara Mandala standards.
- Maintains communication with students and participants via firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com while a virtual retreat or online course is being delivered, respectively.
- Provides input and assessment of improvements needed to virtual retreat and online course execution.
- Works varying days and times, based on the schedules of virtual retreats and online courses.
- In collaboration with the programs team, uses the virtual retreats’ and online courses’ Zoom accounts, creating the Zoom links for an upcoming program and ensuring the maintenance of privacy and sharing settings as required by Tara Mandala’s sharing guidelines.
- On weeks and days BEFORE start day of an assigned virtual retreat or online course:
- Maintains direct communication with teacher/s, teacher assistants, translators, and other relevant support staff assisting in retreat.
- Maintains communication with Programs Manager to coordinate any additional requests from teachers.
- Coordinates with Satellite Sangha Coordinator and Dana Talk Volunteers to schedule presentations during a virtual retreat.
- Creates Zoom links for virtual retreat or online course.
- Uploads content to Learndash as needed in preparation for the start of an online course.
- DURING an assigned virtual retreat and/or online course:
- Moderates all sessions (with the possible exception of practice sessions).
- Ensures presentations by Satellite Sangha Coordinator and Dana Talk Volunteer are announced and offered during the last days of the virtual retreat.
- When necessary, makes note of specific books, texts and other definitions or terms that the teacher mentions and that must be shared with the participants.
- Maintains a log throughout the unfolding of teaching sessions for the purpose of editing post-session.
- Updates “Retreat Content Page” for assigned virtual retreat.
- Updates the Learndash portal for the assigned online course.
- AFTER an assigned virtual retreat and/or online course:
- Communicates to Programs Manager any additional resources or requests made by teacher and/or participants that can be included in post-retreat or post-course follow up email.
Required Education, Skills & Competencies
- Ability to work under pressure, multitask and meet competing deadlines.
- Excellent command of English (spoken and written) and good communication skills.
- Comfortable speaking and addressing an audience with ease and with the capacity to be spontaneous when needed.
- Self-motivated, responsible, and able to work independently.
- Extremely well organized and an exceptional eye for detail.
- Proficient with Website tools such as Zoom Platform, Retreat Guru, Learndash (or similar learning management platform), Google Analytics, and Mailchimp.
- Willingness and capacity to learn new software and other online platforms as needed.
- Previous on-the-job experience with another similar organization.
- College degree preferred.
- Exceptional customer service and hospitality experience, including knowing how to diffuse tense situations with members or retreatants.
- Ability to respond quickly and skillfully to problems during a program and coordinate with team members including Programs Manager/Programs Director during an emergency.
- Outgoing and able to communicate clearly, confidently, and warmly on a screen.
- Team player that is level-headed, flexible, and compassionate.
- Must be able to be in front of a computer for extended periods of time.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to hear and appreciate other points of view, including those of a diverse and cross-cultural nature.
- Highly organized and resourceful with ability to prioritize, problem solve, and take initiative.
- High level of dependability, integrity, and honesty.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality in regard to customers’ information and other sensitive matters.
- Must have a regular and committed meditation practice.
- Dedicated Buddhist practice; strong connection to the lineages at Tara Mandala preferred.
- Have excitement about being part of emerging Dharma in the West.
- Strong understanding and demonstrated ability to work in an organization professionally while upholding Buddhist values and conduct.
- Upholds Tara Mandala Leadership Values and Code of Conduct, and acts as a role model.
This position can be an onsite or offsite and is an employee position. For residential positions: Tara Mandala’s Residential Agreement, including Code of Conduct is available for review here.
Other Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time as needed by the organization.
Tara Mandala is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity with respect to race, religion, ethnicity, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.