With Karla Jackson Brewer, MS & Ranjini George, MA, MFA, PhD
Welcome and thank you for joining us on the Journey into the Dakini Mandala, a Meditation and Writing Online Course. May it be of benefit to you and all beings!
In the introduction of Wisdom Rising: Journey into the Mandala of the Empowered Feminine, Lama Tsultrim Allione narrates the beginnings of Tara Mandala, a 700-acre Buddhist retreat center in Southwest Colorado. She recounts a conversation with Grandmother Bertha Grove, a respected elder of the Ute tribe. In the spring of 1994, after a sweat lodge ceremony, Grandmother Bertha said: “What you want to do is already here…I can see the temples and all the other buildings, they are hovering over the land. You just have to bring it out of the ether onto the earth.”
We dream of the lives that we wish to live and the stories or poems that we yearn to write. Sometimes we dare to begin, but we don’t finish. We lose faith in ourselves, and we can’t “bring it out of the ether onto the earth.” It takes courage, patience and wisdom to fulfil our dreams.
The Dakinis are the feminine expression of transformation and the Mandala is a tool for wholeness and connection to the universe. Utilizing generative writing practices and Dakini Mandala meditation, you will embark with us on this journey into your innermost being, exploring the five Dakini families, and transforming your encumbered emotions. You will also learn elements of the writer’s craft and discover ways to live a creative and meditative life.
- Our course will take place over seven weeks, in live Zoom sessions of 2.5 hours each (which includes a short break).
- You will also be given video and audio recordings of Dakini Mandala practice (streaming access for 1 year).
- You will have the opportunity to share your writing, if you wish, in virtual breakout rooms.
- Each week a summary overview of that week’s teachings will be posted to the Course Content page, along with a recording of that week’s teachings.
- For live writing practice, please attend with a notebook and pen.
- Lama Tsultrim Allione’s Wisdom Rising
- Natalie Goldberg’s Writing Down The Bones, Shambhala Publications, 1986
There will be weekly reading assignments from these books throughout the course, so please purchase the books or e-books. The first reading suggestion will be for the second week of the course (Wednesday May 12th).
Preparation for the course:
We encourage you to begin reading both Lama Tsultrim Allione’s ‘Wisdom Rising’ and Natalie Goldberg’s ‘Writing Down the Bones’ ahead of starting this course.
We invite you to begin by reading this page thoroughly, as it should have all the information you need to orient yourself. Please read through to the bottom so that you don’t miss anything. Be sure to put the webcast dates and link (below) on your calendar.
- 2.5 hour lecture/webcast on Wednesdays
- May 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th
- June 2nd, 9th, 16th
- Time: 11am – 1.30pm MT (Colorado time)
- Find local time here
- Meeting ID: 817 6939 4586
- Passcode: 113107
- Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kee3YayMm
NOTE: Recordings of webcasts will be posted to the website within 48 hours.
To offer dana to the teachers, please follow this link to find their PayPal accounts. We suggest offering $70-$210 for dana for this online course. When a course has more than one teacher you may split that amount or offer more to each teacher if you are able.
For more information about dana, click here.
Structure of the Site:
To navigate the weekly lessons, scroll down to the ‘Course Content’ table below and select your desired week as they become available. Please remember to click the “mark as complete” text at the bottom of each page (beginning with our “Introductions” section) or you will not be able to access the following topic or week. You are free to return to any topic or lesson, at any time.
- If you have any difficulty navigating our program website, please refer to this Online Programs website “manual” with step-by-step instructions and screen shots.
- Or alternatively you may watch this brief video tutorial here
Questions and Support:
- For technical issues with your account or website, please contact su*****@ta*********.org.
- For questions about course content or the webcasts, please contact on************@ta*********.org
Please go to the Course Content section below, and select Introductions.
We invite you to introduce yourself and your aspirations for this course.
We look forward to meeting you!