Dakini Ngöndro: The Excellent Path of Great Bliss
With Lama Tsultrim Allione and Tulku Ösel Dorje
July 4 - 9, 2020
Due to the necessities of these times, this exceptional Dakini Ngöndro from A.dzom Rinpoche’s Ösel Nyingtig terma cycle was revealed at the behest of Lama Tsultrim Allione and was transcribed with the help of Tulku Ösel Dorje who will be teaching this retreat alongside Lama Tsultrim. This cycle for accomplishing the Dakini Yeshe Tsogyal was first revealed in Tibet at Yeshe Tsogyal’s birthplace. At that time Yeshe Tsogyal actually revealed her face to A.dzom Rinpoche and it was later encoded at Tara Mandala.
What is Ngöndro?
- The Tibetan word ngöndro, which means “that which goes before” or “preliminaries,” refers to a collection of practices that condense all the teachings into skillful methods that essentialize the wisdom of the Buddhas and Guru Rinpoche for actualizing one’s own primordial wisdom.
What to Expect?
- In this retreat: we will learn to contemplate and meditate on the Four Thoughts that Turn the Mind to the Dharma, and then we will arrive at the uncommon preliminaries of Refuge, Bodhicitta, Vajrasattva, Mandala Offerings, a short Chöd and receiving the blessings of the lineage in a unique Guru Yoga that centers around the enlightened feminine.
- The practice: as we enter this practice we will encounter Yeshe Tsogyal along with other female wisdom emanations including Samanatabhadri, the feminine aspect of the Primordial Buddha and the embodiment of the Ground of Being, Prajñapārāmita the embodiment of wisdom, Vajra Varahi the fierce Dakini, Machig Labdrön founder of the Chöd lineage, and Green Tārā the embodiment of compassion in action.
- The teachings: the instructions found within this lineage will express the ultimate significance of what is meant by Dakini. Unlike most ngöndros, these preliminary practices are permeated with the profound Dzogchen view. In this practice, one’s progress is not evaluated on the basis of accumulating hundreds of thousands of recitations but rather on one’s meditative experiences and the time one invests.
- Commitments: Once you receive these teachings it will be up to you whether you receive it simply as a blessing or you enter the Ösel Nyingtig Program. If you take that step you will be expected to keep the Samaya until the next Ösel Nyingtig retreat in 2021. This means committing to practice this Dakini Ngöndro every day. The minimum requirement would be simply recitation of the text, but ideally you would be doing it for at least an hour a day.
- Entering the Ösel Nyingtig Program: At the end of this retreat you will have the opportunity to have an interview and apply to enter the Ösel Nyingtig Program, which enables you to receive further teachings during the year, webcasts and to have a Kalyanamitra (Spiritual Mentor) with whom you have a monthly support call. Details will be explained at the retreat. More information on the Ösel Nyingtig cycle can be found here.
Who Can Attend?
- Anyone who has a heartfelt connection with the Ösel Nyingtig. This path is open to everyone who feels a connection, can devote themselves to daily meditation practice (see expectation above on keeping samaya), and is inspired to do this practice which offers a complete path to awakening.
How To Prepare and What to Bring?
- If you don’t have an established daily meditation practice already, we encourage you to begin one in preparation for this retreat.
- The teachings in this retreat are suitable for anyone who has had several years in Vajrayana practice.
- Some familiarity with teachings on Prajñaparamita, Chöd, and Green Tara is highly recommended.
- You will need a mala for this retreat. You can purchase a mala in our Dakini Store.
Suggested Dana: $180 – $300
Lama Tsultrim Allione is founder and resident lama of Tara Mandala. She is author of Women of Wisdom, Feeding Your Demons, and Wisdom Rising: Journey into the Mandala of the Empowered Feminine. Born in New England to an academic/publishing family, she traveled to India in her late teens and was ordained as…
Learn more about Lama Tsultrim Allione
From his own personal retreat practice, Ösel Dorje has gained a strong appreciation for the importance of developing a deep understanding of the philosophical side of Buddhist study, while bringing it to life through meditation experience. Inspired by stories of realized masters of the past, Ösel Dorje has spent time…
Learn more about Tulku Ösel Dorje