About Tara Mandala
Tara Mandala is a vibrant international Buddhist Community with groups around the world. It was established in 1993 by Lama Tsultrim Allione and her late husband, David Petit, to foster the development of innate wisdom for the benefit of all beings. The hub of the Tara Mandala community is the 700-acre dharma center in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. Through the center and the Satellite Sanghas, Tara Mandala offers a complete path of meditation practice, study, and deep retreat in the tradition of Vajrayana Buddhism. Tara Mandala is dedicated to bringing people to realization through Buddhist teachings. Tara Mandala is committed to fostering a welcoming atmosphere for all people to explore the teachings of the Buddha, and we are committed to cultivating a community that values diversity and inclusion.
“Tara Mandala was created to bring people together to support each other, practice, and do retreat in order to reach realization. The second purpose of Tara Mandala is to be a temenos for the emergence of the sacred feminine, through the lens of Vajrayana, leading to the balance of genuine partnership between the masculine and feminine in our world.” – Lama Tsultrim Allione
Tara Mandala seeks candidates who are familiar with and live by Buddhist principles, including the 5 precepts and the 10 virtuous actions. We strive to have an open heart, cultivate compassion and empathy for others whether co-workers, visitors or retreatants. We are here to serve the Dharma first and foremost.
Main duties includes:
- Ensure smooth workflow of maintenance and repair tasks for residents and staff under the direction of the Operations Director.
- Participate in new systems, innovations, and approaches to operations working directly with the Operations Director and under the oversight of the Executive Director.
- Keep land, buildings, roads, systems, and gardens in good operating condition.
- Provide snow plowing in winter months.
Overview of Duties and Areas of Oversight
- Competent carpentry skills, land and infrastructure system skills and maintenance experience.
- Maintain equipment, electrical, plumbing, water, and septic systems working.
- Proven ability to stay on schedule, take directions, and stay on task.
- Have a strong working understanding of building systems including; water systems (well, softening, and heating) and solar systems.
- Collect, prioritize, and distribute maintenance requests in a timely fashion and track completion with the Operations Director.
- Oversee minor repairs with local contractors.
- Maintenance of small water systems.
- Maintenance of multiple small solar systems at cabins.
- Assist in keeping staff and retreat cabins in good working order and ensure that they are well stocked in the winter months, including wood stove maintenance, and safety and supplies are secured, e.g. wood, tarps, chopping blocks and equipment, snow shovels, rodent control, etc.
- Perform weekly facilities walk through using the “facilities walk through” checklist with Operations Director, including checking systems in each building, including heat, electricity, and water (e.g. Temple, Prajna, and Community Building).
- Maintain files (both electronic and paper) as needed.
- Participate in Emergency Procedures planning and execution, have a key lead role in the emergency responses team (Level 2) and carry emergency radio and monitor at night.
- Assist in setting up emergency equipment each spring, including fire hoses, fire trailer and pump.
- Participate in yearly fire drills, including how to use the fire trailer, hydrants and water hoses at resident cabins/yurts.
- Help lead community Spring and Fall clean up events, and garden clean up and plantings at three buildings.
- Providing emergency services, such as pulling cars out of ditches.
- Assist in winterization of land, buildings and ensure residents have wood, and other equipment needed for winter months.
- Deliver and stack wood and other fire supplies to cabins and staff housing in fall each year.
- Keeping propane tanks full at staff and retreat cabins, as needed.
- Provide snow plowing in winter.
- Oversee gardens and landscaping in warmer months, including plantings, irrigation drip system, etc.
Required Education, Skills & Competencies
- 2-3 years’ experience in a similar position.
- An undergraduate or associate degree from an accredited university is a plus.
- Commitment and interest in Buddhism and the Dharma.
- Attend community councils held once a month (talking circles).
- Attend community meeting once a week and other planning meetings as needed.
- Adhere and agree to our Residential Agreement, including Code of Conduct and Ethics click to view here , and Tara Mandala Leadership Values, Tara Mandala Leadership Values can be reviewed here.
- Strong ability to collaborate with multiple staff and residents, receive and give constructive feedback well, communicate project needs, and work closely in a team environment.
- Be proactive and able to work well with ambiguity to bring clarity and definition to projects under management.
- Be creative and resourceful in problem solving.
- Efficiency in completing projects and daily tasks.
- Strong time management and communication skills.
- High integrity and trustworthiness.
- Accommodating, cooperative, and able to take direction
- Willing to train new staff, work exchange students, or residents with simple tasks
- Motivated to provide high quality of work.
- Empathy and Compassion
- Independent and Problem Solving
- Responsible, Honest and trustworthy
Compensation, Benefits and Other Job Requirements
- This is a full-time, hourly non exempt, residential position (30 to 35 hours per week) at Tara Mandala, Pagosa Springs, Colorado and includes room and board, and other benefits, including Paid Time Off.
Other Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time as needed by the organization.
Tara Mandala is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity with respect to race, religion, ethnicity, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.