Machig Labdrön and Open Awareness
with Pieter Oosthuizen and Lopӧn Charlotte Rotterdam
October 22 to December 17, 2021
Following on last year’s course, we return for a deeper dive into Machig’s verses on the nature of mind, offered both to those new to these teachings and as a deepening for those who attended last year’s program.
Machig Labdrön – the great 11th century Tibetan yogini – is unequivocal in her insistence that our truest nature, the very ground of being, is not elsewhere:
Once one’s mind is recognized for sure, there’s no need to establish buddha from elsewhere.
Machig’s powerful teaching reminds us to turn towards our innate wakefulness: the expanse of primordial awareness which is ever-present and always accessible. Rather than continuously searching outside, Machig suggests
Don’t search, don’t practice; rest in your nature.
This simple yet direct invitation to discover the “nature of mind” in every moment lies at the heart of this online offering.
How do we “recognize” our mind? What does it mean to “rest?” How do we open to the fullness of life that includes hardship and pain as well as brilliance and joy? Machig offers helpful guidance on our journey:
No matter what sickness occurs in the manifesting circumstances,
Know that each one is a training exercise.
With gentleness and precision, Machig supports our path of awakened compassion.
Our sessions include teachings, reflections and discussions on several of Machig’s verses drawn from source texts. We will guide contemplations to bring these profound instructions to bear on everyday life; engage various progressive methods for cultivating attention; and introduce Skymind Practice to access and support open awareness, resting the mind in its natural expanse.
What Will I Learn?
- Practice and apply Machig’s pith trainings that point directly to your mind’s true nature.
- Experience Open Awareness meditation in which you recognize and stabilize the wakeful mind – clear, vast and brilliant.
- Gain a set of nuanced techniques and mind training tools that can be integrated into daily life and practice.
- Engage with a deep experiential dive into the heart of Machig’s teachings as a pathway to reconnect with the luminous ground of being.
Who Is This Course For?
- This online course supports both the experienced practitioner and the beginning meditator in accessing the radiance of open awareness.
- Individuals who desire to expand their practice of ‘nature of mind’ into their daily experience.
- This Open Awareness meditation training will complement and strengthen the deepening of your existing practices.
- This course is included as a recommended but not required retreat within the Magyu Program.
- For those who attended the course last year, this year’s course will offer a deepening with teachings on verses not covered previously.
- Eight weeks of 2 hour live webcast teachings with Pieter and Charlotte.
- Video and audio recordings of each webcast.
- You will have access for (1) one year to all materials as well as recordings of all live webcasts until December 17, 2022.
Tara Mandala offers tiered pricing for all online courses to allow participants the opportunity to offer additional financial support. Additional support helps Tara Mandala expand access to transformational and inspiring teachings even in difficult times. We encourage you to select at the highest level within your capacity, be a part of this vision, and help cover the costs of offering these wonderful teachings. We thank you in advance for your support and your practice!
In gratitude for your consideration, upon registration you will receive a 20% special discount code for select items from our Dakini Store that have been recommended by your teachers to assist in support of your practice and learning during this course.
Tier 1: $350
Registration at this level covers the basic costs of holding this online course.
Tier 2: $385
Registration at this level covers basic costs of this online course, generates additional funding for scholarships, and ensures yearlong sustainability for Tara Mandala.
Tier 3: $420
Registration at this level covers basic costs for this online course, generates additional funding for scholarships, Tara Mandala’s year around operations, and also supports the development of new course content to be offered in the future.
Offering dana to the teacher: The practice of offering dana, which means “generosity,” is the traditional offering the student makes to the teacher as a symbol of appreciation, gratitude, and reciprocity for receiving the precious teachings. Information on offering dana to the teacher will be provided during the online program. To learn more about dana and suggested dana ranges, please click here.
Payment Plans & Financial Assistance:
Tara Mandala offers two types of financial assistance: Deferred Payment Plans and Scholarships. You may apply for one or both of these types of assistance. Read the terms carefully as outlined on the financial aid application. Please see this page for further information.
If you are currently a member of our Sustaining Sangha, you may apply your Online Course discount to this course
Each week’s live session will include:
- Teachings by Pieter & Charlotte on:
- Introduction and contemplation of Machig’s slogans. We will progress through a variety of slogans over the course of 8 weeks, ranging from more absolute, nature of mind teachings, to pith instructions for working with awareness, to guidance on integrating vast view into everyday life.
- Mind training techniques for heightening and honing attention, and cultivating awareness. These techniques will progressively build on each other over the progression of the course.
- Training in Open Awareness Meditation.
- Q & A and an opportunity for participant reflections.
Fridays 9:00 to 11:00 am Mountain Time
October 22, October 29, November 5, November 12, November 19, December 3, December 10, December 17
(Please note there is no Live Webcast on November 26)