Machig Labdrön and Open Awareness
with Pieter Oosthuizen and Lopӧn Charlotte Rotterdam
October 16 to December 11, 2020
In one of her brilliant teachings, Machig Labdrön – the great 11th century Tibetan yogini – suggests “don’t search, don’t practice; rest in your nature.”
This powerful statement reminds us to turn towards our innate wakefulness: the expanse of primordial awareness which is ever present and always within us. This simple but direct invitation to discover the ‘nature of mind’ in every moment lies at the heart of this new online offering with two of our senior teachers.
What does it mean to “not search,” to “not practice”? How do we work with our mind in its continuous wanderings? We will introduce and engage various progressive methods for cultivating and honing our attention, including specific techniques from Machig and her teacher and close contemporary Padampa Sangye, so that mind can actually rest in its natural expanse.
Sessions also include teachings and reflections on several of Machig’s slogans drawn from source texts. Through her precise and pith instructions, Machig points us with unnerving directness to the groundless ground of being:
“Awakening is actualized by realizing rootlessness.”
“Look in the way of not looking. Your mind will not be seen by looking.”
These slogans are integrated with a gradual training in Open Awareness meditation which will support you during your moment-to-moment engagement on the path of compassionate awakening.
What Will I Learn?
- Practice and apply Machig’s pith trainings that point directly to your mind’s true nature.
- Experience Open Awareness meditation in which you recognize and stabilize the wakeful mind – clear, vast and brilliant.
- Develop a solid foundation for understanding Prajnaparamita, the Mother of our wakefulness.
- Gain a set of nuanced techniques and mind training tools that can be integrated into daily life and practice.
- Engage with a deep experiential dive into the heart of Machig’s teachings as a pathway to reconnect with the luminous ground of being.
Who Is This Course For?
- This online course supports both the experienced practitioner and the beginning meditator in accessing the radiance of open awareness.
- Individuals who desire to expand their practice of ‘nature of mind’ into their daily experience.
- This Open Awareness meditation training will complement and strengthen the deepening of your existing practices.
- This course is included as a recommended but not required retreat within the Magyu Program.
- Eight weeks of 1.5 hour live webcast teachings with Pieter and Charlotte.
- Video and audio recordings of each webcast.
- Lifetime access to the program.
Deferred Payment Plans and Scholarships
Please see this page for further information.
If you are currently a member of our Sustaining Sangha, you may apply your Online Course discount to the Regular (not the early bird) price.
Each week’s live session will include:
- Teachings by Pieter & Charlotte on:
- Introduction and contemplation of Machig’s slogans. We will progress through a variety of slogans over the course of 8 weeks, ranging from more absolute, nature of mind teachings, to pith instructions for working with awareness, to guidance on integrating vast view into everyday life.
- Mind training techniques for heightening and honing attention, and cultivating awareness. These techniques will progressively build on each other over the progression of the course.
- Training in Open Awareness Meditation.
- Q & A and an opportunity for participant reflections.
Fridays 8:00 to 9:30 am Pacific Time (California) / 9:00 to 10:30 am Mountain Time
October 16, October 23, October 30, November 6, November 13, November 20, December 4, December 11