We understand that committing to a retreat is a large task. With the Extended Karma Yoga Program, we hope to make retreat a possibility for individuals who would like to contribute to Tara Mandala’s dharma activities while also attending retreats and receiving teachings.
The Extended Karma Yoga Program is a unique opportunity, where participants experience all the benefits of being on retreat, while providing service (karma yoga) to Tara Mandala residents, staff, teachers, and other retreatants. And at a half the cost of regular retreat fees. The program offers 50% off any retreat, in exchange for 5 hours of work per day during the retreat. See below for more detailed information about how this works. Two (2) positions are available for all normal retreats, and are on a first come basis. For Drupchen and Drupchö, four (4) positions are available.
- Must be flexible with daily schedule to accommodate kitchen schedule needs, e.g., morning, lunch or evening shifts.
- Work will include prepping food, washing pots and pans, general cleaning, e.g. floors, stove, etc.
- Must arrive on registration day between 2pm and 4pm and work after the lunch shift on the final day to help clear up the kitchen.
- Must be able to pick up 50 lbs. or less and work standing on your feet.
- Must be able to work in the kitchen at kitchen manager’s direction.
- Must work 5 hours per day spread into two shifts to accommodate teaching sessions.
- Must be able to work up to 7 days in a row with one day off if program is longer than 7 days (most programs are 3, 5 or 7 days).
- Must meet prerequisites for retreat for which the application is submitted.
- May not be able to participate in all early morning or evening meditation sessions, depending on kitchen schedule.
- Will receive 50% off retreat fees, up to shared double room in Prajna.
- Requires signing-up one month before program start date.
- Must be approved by the Kitchen Manager.
- Payment is due within 10 days of being offered place in the program or the place will be offered to someone else.
- If a payment plan is needed, this can be discussed with our finance department.
- Full payment is required 30 days before retreat or within 7 days (if registering within 30 days).
- Cancellation within 30 days of retreat start date forfeits fees paid (i.e., no refund).
- Refunds for cancellations 31 days or more before retreat start date are subject to a $100 administrative fee.
- Lodging options: shared room in Prajna, yurt or camping option.
- May participate in up to two Tara Mandala retreats under this program per year.