We understand that committing to a retreat is a large task. With the Extended Karma Yoga Program, we hope to make retreat a possibility for individuals who would like to contribute to Tara Mandala’s dharma activities while also attending retreats and receiving teachings.
The Extended Karma Yoga Program is a unique opportunity, where participants experience all the benefits of being on retreat, while providing service (karma yoga) to Tara Mandala residents, staff, teachers, and other retreatants, at half the cost of regular retreat fees. The program offers 50% off any retreat, in exchange for 4 hours of work per day during the retreat. See below for more detailed information about how this works. Two (2) positions are available for all normal retreats, and are on a first come basis. For Drupchö, four (4) positions are available.
- Must be flexible with daily schedule to accommodate kitchen schedule needs, e.g., morning, lunch or evening shifts.
- Work will include prepping food, washing pots and pans, general cleaning, e.g. floors, stove, etc.
- Must arrive on registration day between 2pm and 4pm and work after the lunch shift on the final day to help clear up the kitchen.
- Must be able to pick up 50 lbs. or less and work standing on your feet.
- Must be able to work in the kitchen at kitchen manager’s direction.
- Must work 4 hours per day spread into two shifts to accommodate teaching sessions.
- Must be able to work up to 7 days in a row with one day off if program is longer than 7 days (most programs are 3, 5 or 7 days).
- Must meet prerequisites for retreat for which the application is submitted.
- May not be able to participate in all early morning or evening meditation sessions, depending on kitchen schedule.
- Will receive 50% off retreat fees, up to shared double room in Prajna.
- Requires signing-up one month before program start date.
- Must be approved by the Kitchen Manager.
- Payment is due within 10 days of being offered place in the program or the place will be offered to someone else.
- If a payment plan is needed, this can be discussed with our finance department.
- Full payment is required 30 days before retreat or within 7 days (if registering within 30 days).
- Cancellation within 30 days of retreat start date forfeits fees paid (i.e., no refund).
- Refunds for cancellations 31 days or more before retreat start date are subject to a $100 administrative fee.
- Lodging options: shared room in Prajna, yurt or camping option.
- May participate in up to two Tara Mandala retreats under this program per year.