Welcome to the Chöd of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Cut through fear, fixation and clinging, by nurturing not fighting, what disturbs our mind.
We are very happy to have chosen to take this course and we are grateful for the path that led you here. Welcome. May you receive the benefit of the profound healing that is available through this practice and may that benefit be shared by all beings.
Developed in the 11th century by the great Tibetan yogini Machig Labdrön, the practice of Chöd is at the heart of her lineage and has slowly transformed from an obscure practice lineage into a cornerstone of multiple schools of Tibetan Buddhism. Instead of banishing or fighting with negative forces, Chöd facilitates the ceremonial offering of one’s own body as sustenance for the benefit of beings. Unlike the images common to many spiritual traditions where the giver gives at a detriment to their own vital force, in this offering there is neither depletion nor detriment to the giver. Through this profound act of love, one’s self-clinging is undermined and awakening naturally dawns.
A unique blend of the Mahayana, Vajrayana, and Tibetan Shamanic traditions, with deep philosophical roots in the Prajñāparamitā (Perfection of Wisdom) literature, Chöd – the practice of severance – is a profound ritual of healing for oneself and for the world. In fact, Chöd practitioners in Tibet were long renowned for their supreme healing capacity, especially in instances of epidemic disease.
Note: A “Lung” (oral transmission) is required prior to doing the practice of Green Tara. It is given by an authorized teacher and contains the energetic purity of the lineage. The Lung must be given ‘live’, and we do them periodically via webcast. If you have not received the Lung for this practice, you can join us on the following date:
- October 17, 2020 from 11am – 12pm PT (California)
- please check back here soon for the link or reach out to Isabelle our online programs coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Videos: All videos are accessed through the course website. NOTE! You must mark each video as “completed” in order to proceed to the next.
- Written and Audio: Any pdfs (texts etc) or recordings are included as downloadable files in the “Downloads” section.
- Additional Materials: The practice is sung with the accompaniment of a ceremonial (chöd) drum and bell, creating a ritual environment that is rich with many layers of symbolic and energetic depth.
- You can find these and other items to support your practice at our store here.
- Do not feel pressured to learn it all at once. Allow yourself to go at your own pace, taking it one step at a time: melodies, drumming, etc.
Discussion Forum: Although this is a self-paced course, we encourage you to share your experience and reflections on the discussion forum, which you will find at the very bottom of this page. Especially in a virtual community, your voice is a gift that breaks the wall of anonymity and builds a bridge across time and space to fellow travelers on this path. We are students and teachers to each other. Jump in!
Questions or Support:
- for technical issues, please contact email@example.com
- for support with any other aspect of this class, please reach out to our online coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.