We understand that committing to a retreat is a large task. With the Work Exchange Retreat Program, we hope to make the experience of retreat at our Tara Mandala retreat center a possibility for individuals who would like to contribute to Tara Mandala’s dharma activities while also attending retreats and receiving teachings.
The Work Exchange Retreat Program is a unique opportunity, where participants experience the benefits of attending a retreat, while providing service (karma yoga) at Tara Mandala in various areas. The program offers 75% off any retreat in exchange for 4 hours of work per day during the retreat. Please note: This program only applies to retreats being hosted onsite at the Tara Mandala Retreat Center located in Colorado and not to virtual retreats or other online programs.
- Must be flexible with daily schedule to accommodate kitchen schedule needs, e.g., morning, lunch or evening shifts.
- Work will include kitchen work (prepping food, washing pots and pans), general housekeeping/cleaning, registration help and other tasks.
- Must arrive on the day before registration day between 2pm and 3:30pm for training and work after the lunch shift on the final day to help clear up the kitchen.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. and be able to work in a standing position for an extended period of time.
- Must be willing to take direction from the kitchen manager, housekeeping manager, retreat manager or Operations Director as needed.
- Must work 4 hours per day spread into two shifts to accommodate teaching sessions.
- Must be able to work up to 7 days in a row with one day off if the program is longer than 7 days (note most programs are 3, 5 or 7 days).
- Must meet prerequisites for retreat for which the application is submitted.
- May not be able to participate in all early morning or evening meditation sessions, depending on schedule.
- Accepted applicants will receive 75% off onsite retreat fees.
- Requires signing-up at least one month before program start date.
- Applicants will be reviewed and approved by the Operations Director.
- Payment is due within 10 days of being offered a place in the Work Exchange Retreat Program or the place will be offered to someone else.
- Scholarships are not available for this program.
- If a payment plan is needed, this can be discussed with our finance department.
- Full payment is required 30 days before retreat or within 7 days (if registering within 30 days).
- Cancellation within 30 days of retreat start date forfeits fees paid (i.e., no refund).
- Refunds for cancellations 31 days or more before retreat start date are subject to a $100 administrative fee.
- Lodging options: Prajna double shared room, yurt, tent cabin or camping option based on availability (Prajna single queen-bed stay not applicable).
- May participate in up to two Tara Mandala onsite retreats under this program per year.
- The Work Exchange Retreat program does not apply to virtual retreats or other online programs.