Feeding Your Demons® Training Tracks and Paths for Certification
About Feeding Your Demons®
Lama Tsultrim Allione distilled the teachings and practice of the 11th-century Tibetan yogini Machig Labdrön for the Western practitioner for the first time in her book, Feeding Your Demons: Ancient Wisdom for Resolving Inner Conflict (Little Brown Co. 2008). In it, Lama Tsultrim outlines an accessible and effective approach for dealing with negative emotions, fears, illnesses, and self-defeating patterns. She explains how when we fight our demons they grow stronger. If we feed and nurture them, however, we can free ourselves from the battle. Through the clearly articulated practice outlined in Feeding Your Demons®, we can learn to overcome any obstacle and achieve freedom and inner peace.
Feeding Your Demons® has benefited thousands worldwide, with practitioners from every walk of life on five continents. The work transcends spiritual constructs, serving as a meaningful tool for anybody, regardless of religious affiliation or personal philosophy.
Two training tracks currently exist to deepen learning and understanding of the Feeding Your Demons® process for anyone who wishes to work deeply with their own “demons” through contemplative practice: The Kapala Training Program and the Feeding Your Demons® Online Program.
At this time only the Kapala Training Program is designed to provide a path to certification (upon passing examination and completing specific requirements) for psychotherapists, mental health professionals and qualified individuals to use the practice in one-on-one facilitation applying them to other healing work to help others.
The Kapala Training Program is a five-level training program track offering an in-depth exploration of the Chöd teachings of 11th century Tibetan yogini, Machig Labdrön; related Mahayana teachings of Prajña Paramita; as well as the practice of Feeding Your Demons® developed by Lama Tsultrim Allione. This training is centered in the application of Lama Tsultrim Allione’s Feeding Your Demons® method combined with contemplative Buddhist practices and teachings. This track may appeal to individuals who wish to delve both into the method while also supporting and deepening their understanding and practice within the Buddhist tradition.
The second training track, the Feeding Your Demons® Online Program, is available for those who wish to practice the process to benefit their individual situation. It is our intention to provide a path to certification as a facilitator for those following this track in the near future. But for now, it is designed only for personal use. This program currently consists of two online courses: Feeding Your Demons® Level One (FYD I) and Level Two (FYD II). This track is intended for those who wish to solely focus on FYD training. It is intended as a secular option for anybody who doesn’t necessarily wish to engage in overtly “Buddhist” spiritual practices.
The Path to Certification
Please be aware that completion of Feeding Your Demons®: Level One (FYD I) and Level Two (FYD II) or completion of the Kapala Training does not grant authorization or permission to facilitate or use the process with other individuals or with groups. It is only for personal use.
Only Certified Feeding Your Demons® Psychotherapists and Facilitators can use the method to assist other individuals on a one-on-one basis. Please check here for an important clarification on facilitation for individuals versus groups.
FYD Facilitator Certification can only be accomplished through the Kapala Training Program at this time. If you intend to apply for Feeding Your Demons® certification, you will need to do the following:
- Complete Kapala Training Levels 1 and 2.
- Provide documentation (Tracking Forms) showing that you have completed 54 solo and 54 partner sessions (both yours and partner’s Tracking form makes one partner session), totaling 108 sessions.
- Pass a test with an Authorized Tara Mandala Teacher showing that you can guide someone through the process by memory, without using the text.
Important Differences between Kapala Training and Online Training
- Kapala Training offers in-depth study of the Feeding Your Demons® method as well as the Buddhist practices, teachings and philosophy from which the process was distilled by Lama Tsultrim Allione. Feeding Your Demons® Online Program, on the other hand, is a secular practice focusing only on the Feeding Your Demons® method without the introduction of advanced Buddhist practices.
- The Feeding Your Demons® Online Program is NOT a replacement for the Kapala Training Program, and therefore does not count towards accomplishment of the Magyu Lineage Program requirements. Click here to learn more about the Magyu Lineage.
- Kapala Training involves primarily in-person, residential retreat opportunities to deepen learning of the practices while the Feeding Your Demons® Online Program is an online-based track that offers the benefit of learning the practice virtually for those who are unable to attend a residential retreat due to location, physical disability or other circumstances.