Due to the generosity of the Tara Mandala Sangha, we are able to offer the following types of financial assistance: deferred payment plans, Extended Karma Yoga, and scholarships. Read the terms carefully as outlined on the financial aid application.
Deferred Payment Plans
Deferred payment plans are available based on financial need. You must fill out an application and work out a payment schedule with the office. If approved, you will be asked to provide a credit card number that will be charged the agreed upon schedule of payments. Please read Scholarship Guidelines and Terms before applying.
Extended Karma Yoga Program
We understand that committing to a retreat is a large task. With the Extended Karma Yoga Program, we hope to make retreat a possibility for individuals who would like to contribute to Tara Mandala’s dharma activities while also attending retreats and receiving teachings.
The Extended Karma Yoga Program is a unique opportunity, where participants experience the benefits of attending a retreat, while providing service (karma yoga) at Tara Mandala in various areas. The program offers 50% off any retreat in exchange for 4 hours of work per day during the retreat.
The Evada Fund was established in 1996 to extend the concept of dana (generosity) to members of the sangha who, due to financial hardship, may not otherwise be able to attend our retreats.The Evada Fund is supported by donors and our generous sangha who pay above the minimum on our sliding scale for retreat fees.
Tara Mandala is currently able to offer partial scholarships for retreats and annual fees for our practice programs (Magyu, Gateway, Mandala Training). Please keep in mind that our funds are limited, so requesting the minimum needed will enable more people to benefit from this fund. Please read the Scholarship Guidelines and Terms below before applying
Fund for Equity, Inclusion and Diversity
The Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Council and Scholarship Fund was established at Tara Mandala in 2015 seeded through a generous donation by an anonymous donor. Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Scholarships are for people of color and/or those who are underrepresented due to their gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, social class, and ethnicity and those in need of financial support. Please keep in mind that our funds are limited, so requesting the minimum needed will enable more people to benefit from this fund. Please read the Scholarship Guidelines and Terms below before applying.
How to Apply for a Scholarship
Begin by reading the Guidelines and Terms listed below. You can apply for scholarships toward retreat fees, online programs, and for Magyu and Gateway Program fees only. Scholarships are awarded based on funds available. If you are awarded a scholarship, the award amount will be deducted from the total amount owed for your program. Please apply for all scholarships prior to registering for a retreat or program. If you are applying for assistance with an annual program fee, please apply at least two months prior to when your annual fee is due.
Once you have applied, you will receive an email from the Finance Department after your application is reviewed. Please allow a week prior to following up on your application status. In the future, should your financial circumstances change we hope you will consider making a donation to this fund to benefit others.
Fill out the the application form, here.
Scholarship Guidelines & Terms
- One scholarship per person per program.
- Each applicant must fill out and submit an application.
- Scholarships are need-based and can cover from 25-75% of the registration fee for a given retreat, course, or long term program annual fee depending on the funds that are available.
- Monastics are eligible for scholarships ranging from 25-100% based on need. Please submit the same application for approval.
- Applications must be received at least four weeks prior to the start of the retreat in order to be considered for allocation of funds.
- Special Note: Due to COVID-19, we will accept applications up to three days in advance of a Virtual Retreat or start of an Online Program.
- Applicants will be asked to describe their financial need for a scholarship in writing.
- Scholarships are offered toward camping, dorm yurt, and commuting (when available) accommodations only.
- Scholarships cannot be combined with any other discounts or offers including Sustaining Sangha Membership discounts.
If you have any questions, please email our Accounts Manager, at email@example.com.