Tara Mandala is committed to expanding opportunities for students to access Buddhist teachings and practices through an equity-informed fee structure. Our tiered pricing structure endeavors to make the Dharma more accessible to all while furthering the important conversations that must happen around current structures inhibiting equal access to underprivileged communities.
Please note we have an “Access Level” Rate available for most of our Virtual Retreats, Dharma Talks and Online Courses. This access rate is offered at 35% below the cost of holding the retreats in order to assist participants with financial limitations and encourage the exploration and practice of dharma. There is no need to apply for a scholarship to benefit from the access rate, please simply select this option at registration. We hope that including direct access to this reduced rate allows for more interested participants to bypass the scholarship application process to receive the support they need.
Due to the generosity of the Tara Mandala Global Sangha, we offer the following types of financial assistance, if needed, in addition to the “Access Level” Rate: deferred payment plans, Evada Scholarships or Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Scholarships. Please read the terms carefully as outlined on the financial aid application.
Deferred Payment Plans
Payment plan requests may be submitted through this application link on our website. The basic guidelines for our payment plans follow:
- We ask that deposits are 25% or 50% of the entire payment upon registration.
- The balance after the deposit is made can be split into equal payment.
- The balance must be paid in full prior to the start of a program. Exceptions may be made for year long courses.
Once the request is received and payment plan is agreed upon, participants will receive a special discount code depending on the arrangement. Participants will register through our normal registration system while only paying the agreed upon deposit amount. Participants must notify us on this page once they have registered. Finance will then schedule the remaining payments.
The Evada Fund was established in 1996 to extend the concept of dana (generosity) to members of the sangha who, due to financial hardship, may not otherwise be able to attend our retreats.The Evada Fund is supported by donors and our generous sangha who pay above the minimum on our sliding scale for retreat fees.
Tara Mandala is currently able to offer partial scholarships, up to 75% off the total cost for retreats and annual fees for our long-term practitioner programs (Magyu, Gateway, Ösel Nyingtig). Please keep in mind that our funds are limited, so requesting the minimum needed will enable more people to benefit from this fund. Please read the Scholarship Guidelines and Terms below before applying.
Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Fund
The Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Scholarship Fund was established at Tara Mandala in 2015 seeded through a generous donation by an anonymous donor. Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Scholarships are for people of color and/or those who are underrepresented due to their gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, social class, and ethnicity and those in need of financial support. Please keep in mind that our funds are limited, so requesting the minimum needed will enable more people to benefit from this fund. Please read the Scholarship Guidelines and Terms below before applying.
How to Apply for a Scholarship
Begin by reading the Guidelines and Terms listed below. You can apply for scholarships toward retreat fees, online courses, and for Magyu, Gateway, and Ösel Nyingtig Program fees only. Scholarships are awarded based on funds available. If you are awarded a scholarship, the award amount will be deducted from the total amount owed for your program. Please apply for all scholarships prior to registering for a retreat or course. If you are applying for assistance with an annual program fee, please apply at least two months prior to when your annual fee is due.
Once you have applied, you will receive an email from the Finance Department after your application is reviewed. Please allow a week prior to following up on your application status. In the future, should your financial circumstances change we hope you will consider making a donation to this fund to benefit others.
Fill out the application form here.
Scholarship Guidelines & Terms
- One scholarship per person per program.
- Each applicant must fill out and submit an application.
- Scholarships are need-based and can cover from 25-75% of the registration fee for a given retreat, course, or long term program annual fee depending on the funds that are available.
- Monastics are eligible for scholarships ranging from 25-100% based on need. Please submit the same application for approval.
- Applications must be received at least four weeks prior to the start of the retreat in order to be considered for allocation of funds.
- Special Note: Due to COVID-19, we will accept applications up to three days in advance of a Virtual Retreat or start of an Online Course.
- Applicants will be asked to describe their financial need for a scholarship in writing.
- Scholarships only apply to the Access Level or base rate for Virtual Retreats and Online Courses.
- Scholarships cannot be combined with any other discounts or offers including Sustaining Sangha Membership discounts.
- Scholarships are not available for our Virtual Dharma Talks, as we have a reduced rate at the Access Level available at registration.
If you have any questions, please email our Finance Department on this page.