Tara Mandala is working to expand opportunities for access to Buddhist practices and teachings while offering an equity-informed fee structure when possible. With our Share the Dharma Initiative on select programs, we strive to make Dharma accessible to all while furthering the important conversations that must happen around current structures that inhibit equal access to underprivileged communities in our society.
Share the Dharma Initiative At A Glance
- Programs under this model include a Share the Dharma Initiative price option for anyone struggling financially (including difficult financial circumstances or those due to systemic oppression) who would like to participate.
- The price option for the Share the Dharma Initiative is set significantly below our cost in an effort to include participants from across the globe.
- Once the program has taken place, the Share the Dharma Fee can either be donated to Tara Mandala in whole or partially so it can continue supporting this initiative OR be refunded to the participant at the end of the retreat upon request.
- Please note, financial assistance is not applicable for these programs given that participants can request a full or partial refund of their Share the Dharma Fee upon completion of the program.
- Participants in this initiative will also have an opportunity to make an additional donation to Tara Mandala to support its mission if they are able.
- Because these programs are being offered at a significantly reduced rate, sustaining sangha discounts will apply only if participants opt for one of the two higher tier prices.
- The Share the Dharma Initiative is only applicable to Virtual Retreats at this time.
Who pays for this retreat?
This retreat has been made possible by the generous support of our donors, sustaining sangha members and through the deep commitment of the Tara Mandala’s board and staff to further conversations and awareness about equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Attendance at a Share the Dharma retreat only requires a refundable deposit to reserve your spot. Upon completion of the retreat, a participant will have the option of having their deposit refunded. Please note that a request for a refund can be requested up to and no later than 5 days after the last day of a retreat. Refunds may be requested by contacting the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Likewise, you may also decide to donate your deposit. By this act of generosity, you allow someone else to attend a Share the Dharma retreat in the future, and ensure someone else will be able to benefit from attending a Tara Mandala retreat like you have. This model is being offered as part of Tara Mandala’s overall commitment to make the Dharma more accessible and affordable to a more diverse and inclusive audience.
Are all Tara Mandala retreats being offered with this model?
It is our intention to provide two to three retreat opportunities per year under this initiative. Please refer to the top of a retreat listing for a Share the Dharma Initiative label that will inform you if a specific retreat has been designated to be part of this initiative.
Additionally, we are changing our overall retreat pricing system and have created a new “access rate” to make all of our programs more affordable. This new pricing structure will launch in 2022.
How does this donation system work?
At the end of the retreat, you will be invited to make a contribution based on what feels right to you. Your contribution goes toward supporting Tara Mandala’s capacity to continue offering Share the Dharma Initiative retreats in the future.
Is there a deposit?
Yes. Registration and initial payment of a Share the Dharma Fee is required to reserve a space for this retreat. Your deposit may be refunded upon request at the end of a retreat. Please note that a request for a refund can be requested up to and no later than 5 days after the last day of a retreat. Refunds may be requested by contacting the Registrar at email@example.com
If you are in a financial position to do so, you may also offer the deposit back to Tara Mandala (along with any additional donation you may want to make) in support of Tara Mandala’s programming as discussed above. Any refund requested would be processed through the credit card used for your initial deposit. This deposit or fee does not cover Teacher dana.
What is the cancellation policy for this kind of retreat?
Tara Mandala’s general cancellation policies do not apply to this retreat. There are no refunds prior to the start of the retreat or in the event a participant chooses to cancel their attendance prior to retreat completion.
Is Financial Aid available for this retreat?
No. Financial assistance is not applicable for these programs given that participants can request a full or partial refund of their Share the Dharma Fee at the end of the retreat.
Teacher compensation is covered by the revenue from registrations to these programs and supplemented by Tara Mandala as needed. However, we invite you to consider offering a donation (dana) to the teacher if you feel inspired and have the capacity. We will provide links for offering dana before and at the end of the program. For more information about dana, click here.