The Great Wisdom Mother, Prajñaparamita: A Transmission and Teaching on the Nature of Mind Practice — ONLINE
With Polly Ryan, MA, MFT
October 7 - 8, 2023
Prajñāpāramitā, the “perfection of wisdom,” is one of the key philosophies and practices of the Mahāyāna teachings of Buddhism. Prajñāpāramitā, is also revered as the female embodiment of wisdom (Skt. prajñā), the Great Mother, Yum Chenmo in Tibetan. She is luminous clarity ceaselessly radiating as compassion to all beings. Ultimately, she is our own true nature, our source of awakening within ourselves, our buddha nature.
It is also a primary “nature of mind” meditation practice, an important part of the Kapala Training program within the Mother Lineage, Magyü, at Tara Mandala, that requires live oral transmission. This transmission will be given by Senior Teacher Polly Ryan following teachings on Prajñāpāramitā and a detailed explanation of the practice itself.
This retreat is open to beginners and those who would like to refresh their Prajñāpāramitā meditation practice. It will include:
- Teachings on the history and philosophy of Prajñāpāramitā and her sūtras (texts) such as the Heart Sūtra, and aspects of the sacred feminine within the context of the Buddhist path.
- Oral transmission and guided meditations
- Time to ask questions of clarification so that you feel well supported to continue the practice on your own.
For students who have completed Feeding Your Demons® Level I – Secular Track (Online Course) and are interested in transitioning to the Feeding Your Demons® Level II – Buddhist Track (Online Course) or are interested in joining the Magyu: The Mother Lineage Program, this program helps with fulfilling the requirement of completing Feeding Your Demons®: Kapala Training Level I.
Who Should Attend?
This program is open to everyone.
How Should I Prepare?
- The e-friendly version of the sadhana will be available for participants through the program content page.
- The following material is recommended, though not required, as practice support: Lex Hixon’s Mother of the Buddhas: Meditation on the Prajnaparamita Sutra and The Heart Attack Sutra by Karl Brunnhölzl.
All participants will have a 1-year access period to the recordings.
What is a Tara Mandala Online Program?
Tara Mandala offers online programming via live and pre-recorded curriculum that give you the opportunity to access dharma teachings, engage in guided practice, experience personal retreat and hands-on learning, while connecting with other participants through easy-to-use online platforms and an engaged community network. When needed, the program description and schedule will inform you in advance if and when a specific online session must be attended live if a direct transmission (Tib. lung) may be given. Access to recordings of all sessions will be available for additional viewing for one year.
Tara Mandala Program Pricing
Choose an amount within this range if you have the financial security and capacity to support Tara Mandala at a higher level. The contributions we receive within this range make it possible for us to offer a below-cost Access Range to those practitioners with a limited income.
This range is for you if you:
- Own your own home and live comfortably without financial worry
- Have investments and savings
- Easily have access to money in times of need or emergencies
- Have the desire to help make the Dharma more accessible to others
Choose an amount within this range if you have the financial capacity to sustain Tara Mandala’s ability to offer high-quality programs. The contributions we gratefully receive within this range enable us to keep our prices low while covering the basic program costs.
This range is for you if you:
- Have the capacity to meet your basic financial needs
- Make your rent or mortgage and other monthly payments
- Are generally able to purchase new items and experiences for yourself
- Can afford to take trips and go on retreats
Choose an amount within this range if you have limited financial capacity or are currently experiencing financial hardship. The contributions we gratefully receive within this range go toward covering costs and are supported by contributions of those who choose the Generosity Range.
This range is for you if you:
- Have difficulty meeting your basic financial needs
- Are experiencing housing, employment, or income instability
- Live paycheck-to-paycheck and and lack money in times of need
- Face challenges due to devaluation of your currency against the US dollar.
Offering dana to the teacher: The practice of offering dana, which means “generosity,” is the traditional offering the student makes to the teacher as a symbol of appreciation, gratitude, and reciprocity for receiving the precious teachings. Information on offering dana to the teacher will be provided during the virtual retreat. To learn more about dana and suggested dana ranges, please click here.
Payment Plans and Financial Assistance
Tara Mandala offers two types of financial assistance: Deferred Payment Plans and Scholarships. You may apply for one or both of these types of assistance. Read the terms carefully as outlined on the financial aid application. Please see this page for further information.
If you are currently a member of our Sustaining Sangha, you may apply your Online Program discount to this course.
The live sessions of the program are listed below. All times are Mountain Daylight Time. Please use this link to see how this daily schedule translates into your timezone.
Saturday, October 7, 2023
9:00am-11:30am (MDT): Opening Gathering (15 min break included in session)
12:30pm-3:00pm (MDT): Teachings (15 min break included in session)(this session includes the transmission of the practice and should be attended live).
Sunday, October 8, 2023
9:00am-11:30am (MDT): Teachings (15 min break included in session)
Polly Ryan, MA, MFT, is a Tara Mandala senior teacher and has been a devoted student of Lama Tsultrim Allione since 1992. She has also studied with Lama Alan Wallace for over three decades. Under the tutelage of Lama Alan Wallace, she has studied Shamatha, The Four Applications of Mindfulness,…
Learn more about Polly Ryan, MA, MFT